You’ll find there’s always something inspirational going on in the region’s museums and galleries. We’ve put together a few suggestions for you to visit whilst you are in the area for the performances from a wonderful Tom Roberts exhibition in Inverell to the guided tours of the beautiful historic Saumarez Homestead you’ll find there’s always something inspirational going on in the region’s museums and galleries and Here we give you some ideas for some must-see and do experiences all within a short distance of Armidale or Inverell.
- Shadowing Tom – “Shadowing Tom” by Christine Porter is an exhibition of paintings, mixed media and etchings, about Newstead Inverell, where Tom Roberts painted “The Golden Fleece”120 years ago. On display at the beautiful Inverell Art Gallery in Evans St.
- Multicultural Day – Saturday, 25 March 2017 @ 10:30am- 2:30pm Campbell Park, Inverell. Learn about the diverse range of cultures that call Inverell home. Taste traditional foods from around the globe and soak up the atmosphere with entertainment and displays from a multitude of countries.
- New England Woodturning – Browse through the refurbished Yangoora gallery of hand crafted timber items, woodturning supplies and timber. Rob also makes and plays Didgeridoos. Demonstrations by appointment.
- Wing Hing Long Museum – Wing Hing Long was established in the late nineteenth century as one of a number of stores servicing the tin mining communities of the Tingha district. Tin was first found in the area in the early 1870s. The discovery created a boom in productivity and population which peaked in the late nineteenth century and which declined as the tin was mined out.
- Melissa Symonds Art, AK Bellinger Gallery, Itty Bitty Gallery. Beautiful art galleries with an extensive and diverse range of art and craft as unique as the galleries themselves.
- New England Regional Arts Museum in Armidale (NERAM) is is the custodian of around 5000 works of art, including the Howard Hinton, Chandler Coventry and NERAM collections.. Autumn Program HERE
- Visit the Armidale Folk museum to see the travelling exhibition ‘The Great War in Broad Outlines – a history of the First World War’ which is a Belgium Department of Foreign Affairs exhibition. It tells stories of the 33rd Battalion which consisted of about 1000 men – maintained at that level by continual reinforcements, from 6 to 27 March 2017.from 6 to 27 March 2017.
- Country Art Escapes offers visitors and locals the opportunity to plan a day trip or longer cultural tour. Explore the artist studios, galleries, museums and other cultural venues and experiences of the New England North West region of New South Wales. http://www.countryartescapes.com.au/
- Take a guided tour through the White family’s 30-room Edwardian mansion complete with original furnishings. Stroll through Mary White’s garden, with its Jocelyn Brown style cottage garden, the picking garden and the lawns. Visit outbuildings complete with 19th century tools and equipment.Devonshire teas, lunches and other refreshments are available at the Saumarez Café. Saumarez Homestead, Saumarez Road (enter from New England Highway via Armidale Airport). TIMES: homestead tours 10.30am, 2.00pm and 3.30pm (weekend and Public Holiday ONLY). Grounds open daily between 10.00am and 5.00pm. Café open 10.00am to 4.00pm. For more information, phone 02 6772 3616.